And to think, it started as a $5 oversized Goodwill coffee table... and now is the world's largest tufted ottoman. This project did not take much time at all - let me show ya how it went down.
It all started with a phone call from my Aunt Julie. She said she found a coffee table that made her think of my house for only $5. I told her to pick it up and bring it on over! I had no idea it was so large! Ha! But, the size inspired me to do more than just refinish it.
I recently saw Natalie from Vintage Porch on Instagram create a faux tufted headboard and I thought I could take that idea and turn it into a tufted ottoman! I did this project last summer - and so I didn't quite document it for blogging purposes... I documented it so I could remember what I did, send updates to my mom and sisters via snap chat as I went, and check my measurements... but it turned out that I have a few photos of the process to show!
This isn't a true "before" photo because I already painted the legs... but you get the picture. It was a large scratched wooden table. Take into account my professionalism of towels on the floor and Brad's birthday balloons leftover in the corner #profesh.
Painting took no time because I only had to paint the bottom since I was covering the top. My original plan was to use crafting padding to cover the top... but this table is 4 feet by 5 feet... and that much padding can add up. That's when I decided to use those cheap foam mattress pads to cover it. I bought one for a queen bed and cut it to size for only $16. Link here: Mattress Pad
I attached it with Liquid Nails so it wouldn't slide around underneath and get all squished.
I was able to double it up and have two layers from one pack of foam - so I added glue in between layers.
I then covered the entire table with a drop cloth for the fabric covering. I ordered a 6x9 drop cloth from Amazon for only $12.99. I washed the drop cloth twice to make it nice and soft so it wouldn't feel stiff as a drop cloth normally would. I simply draped it over and stapled it underneath the lip of the table top.
Before I stapled the drop cloth I laid out my pins to see if I had enough to make an even pattern and I was one short... so I had to improvise and make one out of a nail, and button, and a ball of fabric because I refused to order a whole set. Ha!
The pins are actually meant for nailing into the bottom of a chair leg to keep it from scratching the floor... but they work perfect for a faux button. I also ordered them from Amazon for less than $5!
I cut the leftover drop cloth fabric into 1.5" x 1.5" squares and then cut the squares into circles.
The hardest part of the entire project was hot gluing the fabric to the button. That is because I had to hold down each section as I went around... I suggest wearing gloves... I did not and burnt my fingers each time... ouch. But, it was worth it! Ha!
I made sure to press the fabric down tight to the pin and cut the excess so there would be plenty of space for the nail to go into the table through the padding.
Last step was marking my pin spots with a pencil and hammering each one in with a hammer. That's it! No sewing or drilling. Just gluing, cutting, and hammering - my kind of DIY!
I created an Amazon page with the supplies for this DIY here! Click: supply page.